BACL offers comprehensive EMC Immunity Testing capabilities. We routinely test all sizes of products – everything from small modules and hand-held devices up to large rack-mounted systems, electric cars, and huge industrial machines. We routinely perform EMC Immunity testing on all types of electronic and electromechanical products, regardless of whether or not they contain transmitters, receivers, or transceivers:
It should be noted that BACL Sunnyvale’s ISO/IEC 17025 Scope of Accreditation is 16 pages long and includes more than 150 different Product Family EMC Immunity Test Standards, Generic EMC Immunity Standards, and Basic EMC Immunity Test Method Standards. BACL Sunnyvale thus can perform any EMC Immunity Test that requires, is based upon, or suggests the use of any of any the following Basic Test Method Standards:
- IEC 61000-2-2 (Audio Frequency Immunity)
- IEC 61000-3-2 (Powerline Harmonics)
- IEC 61000-3-3 (Voltage Fluctuations and Flicker)
- IEC 61000-4-2 (ESD Immunity)
- ISO 10605 (Automotive ESD Immunity)
- IEC 61000-4-3 (Radiated RF Fields Immunity)
- IEC 61000-4-4 (EFT/Burst Immunity)
- IEC 61000-4-5 (Combination Wave Lightning Surge Immunity)
- Telcordia GR-1089-CORE Issue 7 (Various First Level Lightning Surges per Table 4-2)
- Telcordia GR-1089-CORE Issue 7 (Various Second Level Lightning Surges per Table 4-3)
- ITU-T Recommendations K.20, K.21, K-44, and K.45 (Lighting Resistibility Tests)
- IEC 61000-4-12 (Ringwave Lightning Surge Immunity)
- IEC 61000-4-18 (Damped Oscillatory Wave Lightning Surge Immunity)
- IEC 61000-4-6 (RF Common Mode Immunity Test Method)
- IEC 61000-4-8 (Power-frequency Magnetic Fields Immunity)
- IEC 61000-4-9 (Pulsed Magnetic Fields Immunity)
- IEC 61000-4-11 (Voltage Dips and Short Interruptions Immunity)
BACL Sunnyvale has a large 5m RF Semi-Anechoic Chamber (with an adjacent fully shielded Control Room) dedicated to IEC 61000-4-3 (and similar) Radiated Immunity Testing. The walls and ceiling of this RF Semi-Anechoic Chamber are lined with Ferrite Tiles that are covered with 4 ft. [1.22] RF Pyramid Absorbers on the walls and ceiling. This Chamber is fitted with a standard 7 ft. high X 4 ft. wide manually-operated single-knife-edge RF shielded personnel and equipment access door, EMI-filtered Lighting, EMI-filtered electrical power for EUTs and Support Equipment, and a remote video monitoring system. The chamber floor has access hatches that allow the passage of cables between the chamber and its Control Room via metal-lined tunnels. The Chamber is equipped with removable ferrite tile panels and “loose laid” 12 inch [30 cm] pyramid RF Absorbers to improve the “quiet zone” performance of the Chamber.
This RF Semi-Anechoic Chamber is equipped with all of the required instrumentation (including Signal Generators, RF Power Amplifiers, E-Field Generators and Transmit Antennas, coaxial cables, 3-axis isotropic Field Probes, Directional Couplers, RF Power Meters and RF Power Sensors), as well as the required Instrumentation Control Computers and EMI Test Software to perform Radiated Immunity Testing from 9 kHz to 6 GHz at up to 20 V/m with 80% AM Modulation added.
BACL Sunnyvale also has two dedicated EMC Immunity Testing rooms, and in addition, can perform EMC Immunity Testing on its Ground Plane Test Site.
The first of these two dedicated Immunity Test Rooms is equipped with a large, directly earthed Ground Reference Plane, a very large suite of Lightning Surge testing equipment (i.e., Controllers, Pulse Impulse Generator Modules, Pulse Coupling Devices, and Coupling/Decoupling Networks), and, EFT/Burst Testing equipment – all of which was manufactured by Haefely. This suite of equipment was specifically designed to provide the Telcordia GR-1089-CORE, EN 300 386, and ITU K.20, K.21, K-44, and K.45 Lightning Surge tests and EFT/Burst tests that are required for Central Office Telecommunications Equipment, as well as less commonly seen Lightning Surge Tests that are required for certain other specialized products. In particular, this suite of Surge and EFT/Burst Test equipment is capable of performing Immunity Tests in accordance with the following Standards:
- Telcordia GR-1089-CORE Issue 7 (Various First Level Lightning Surge Tests per Table 4-2)
- Telcordia GR-1089-CORE Issue 7 (Various Second Level Lightning Surge Tests per Table 4-3)
- ITU-T Recommendations K.20, K.21, K-44, and K.45 (Lighting Surge Resistibility Tests)
- EN 300 386 (European Central Office Lightning Surge Tests)
- IEC 61000-4-4 (EFT/Burst Immunity Tests)
- IEC 61000-4-5 (Combination Wave Surge Immunity Tests)
- IEC 61000-4-12 (Ringwave Lightning Surge Immunity Tests)
- IEC 61000-4-18 (Damped Oscillatory Wave Lightning Surge Immunity Tests)
BACL’s suite of Lightning Surge testing equipment includes the following Controllers, Pulse Impulse Generator Modules, and Pulse Coupling Devices:
- Haefely Model PSURGE 8000 Controller
- Haefely Model PIM 100 Impulse Module [provides 1.2/50us & 8/20us (Combination Wave) Surges]
- Haefely Model PIM 110 Impulse Module [provides 100 kHz Ringwave Surges]
- Haefely Model PIM 120 Impulse Module [provides 10/700us Surges]
- Haefely Model PIM 150 Impulse Module [provides 100 kHz and 1 MHz Oscillatory Wave Surges]
- Haefely Model PIM 900 Impulse Module [provides 2/10us 5-Terminal Telecom Line Surges]
- Haefely Model PIM 910 Impulse Module [provides 10/1000us & 10/360us 3-Terminal Telecom Line Surges]
- Haefely Model PIM 930 Impulse Module [provides 10/360us 12-pair Telecom Line Surges]
- Haefely Model FP-SURGE100M2 [3-Phase, 4 wire, 100 A/Phase Coupling/Decoupling Network]
- Haefely Model PCD 100 [Single Phase 16 Ampere-rated Coupling Module]
- Haefely Model PCD 120 [4 Output Telecom Line Coupling Module]
- Haefely Model PCD 121 [Combination Wave Coupling Module]
- Haefely Model PCD 122 [4 Output Telecom Line Coupling Module]
- Haefely Model PCD 122 [4 Output Combination Wave & 100 kHz Ringwave Coupling Module]
- Haefely Model PCD 150 [4-Wire 100 kHz Ringwave & 100 kHz/1 MHz Oscillatory Wave Coupling Module]
- Haefely Model PCD 900 [5-Terminal, 3-Port Telecom Line Coupling Module]
All of these instruments listed above have ISO/IEC 17025 –accredited traceable calibrations.
The second of these two Immunity Test Rooms is equipped with a large, directly earthed Reference Ground Plane and an IEC 61000-4-2-compliant ESD Test Bench (and the required ESD Test Horizontal and Vertical Coupling Planes). BACL Sunnyvale performs ESD Immunity Tests using a TESEQ NSG 438 ESD Generator that is equipped with four different ESD Discharge Networks (i.e., the 150 pF/ 330 Ohm, 330 pF / 330 Ohm, 150 pF / 2000 Ohm, and the 330 pF /2000 Ohm Discharge Networks) that allow testing to the requirements of IEC 61000-4-2 and ISO 10605. This allows BACL to perform ESD tests on automotive products as well as on products intended for use in home, office, commercial, industrial, and ship-board applications. All of these instruments listed above have ISO/IEC 17025 –accredited traceable calibrations.
Additionally, this room contains BACL’s Haefely AXOS5 Compact Immunity Test System (inclusive of the Haefely DIP 116 External Transformer Unit). This self-contained “two box” System provides a comprehensive Single-phase AC and DC Immunity Test Capability that includes a single-phase (and DC) Coupling/Decoupling Network and a set of Impulse Generator Modules that provide IEC 61000-4-5 (and similar) Combination Wave Surge Immunity Tests, IEC 61000-4-4 (and similar) Electrical Fast Transient/Burst Immunity Tests, and, IEC 61000-4-11 Voltage Dips and Short Interruptions Tests. BACL’s Haefely AXOS5 Compact Immunity Test System can be quickly be connected to BACL’s Haefely Model FP-EFT100M2 3-Phase, 4 wire, 100 A/Phase EFT/Burst Coupling/ Decoupling Network or to BACL’s Haefely Model FP-SURGE100M2 3-Phase, 4 wire, 100 A/Phase Surge Coupling/Decoupling Network whenever either 3-Phase AC or (high current) DC test capability is required. All of these instruments listed above have ISO/IEC 17025 –accredited traceable calibrations.
BACL Sunnyvale can also use its large, dedicated Ground Plane Test Site (GPTS) as an EMC Immunity test site for performing both Power frequency Magnetic Immunity Tests (per IEC 61000-4-8 and similar Standards), and, RF Common Mode Immunity Tests (per IEC 61000-4-6 and similar Standards). The BACL Sunnyvale GPTS is described in detail on the EMC Emissions Test webpage; for EMC Immunity Test purposes, the BACL Sunnyvale GPTS provides a 12 ft. [3.66 m] wide X 10 ft. long Ground Plane for testing large products.
BACL Sunnyvale has all of the required test instrumentation, and test software needed to perform the IEC 61000-4-6 (and similar) RF Common Mode Immunity Tests and IEC 61000-4-8 (and similar) Power-frequency Magnetic Immunity Tests. BACL Sunnyvale’s IEC 61000-4-6 test instrumentation includes RF Signal Generators, RF Power Amplifiers, Impedance Matching Attenuators, Directional Couplers, RF Power Meters and Power Sensors, a complete suite of M-Series Coupling / Decoupling Networks [CDNs] (including an M-1, two M-2’s, two M-3’s, an M-4, and an M5), Telecom Line CDNs, an EM- Clamp, and a high-current-rated Bulk Current Injection Probe, Calibration Jigs, and Instrument Control Computers. BACL Sunnyvale’s IEC 61000-4-8 test instrumentation includes a high-power Precision AC Source, a Rectangular Induction Coil, a current transformer, and a Hall-effect Clamp-on Current Meter. All of these instruments listed above have ISO/IEC 17025 –accredited traceable calibrations.